Things that I've Written:
I used to have a bad habit of losing things that I had written. This page is a bit of a dumping ground - the good with the bad - so that I don't lose them. Licensing information may vary from project to project.
If you have any questions, comments or bug reports feel free to email me. contact info
This site is a network connection debugging tool that reports on your current proxy settings.
Hardscan is a command-line tool that detects open ports on the local machine. It is intended for uses where "netstat" and its ilk are untrustworthy. It should run on any system that supports python 2.3 or better.
An implementation of ping-over-tcp for the win32 console. Also includes http get/post support.
A 'network sniff notetaker' that embeds a specified message into a currently running Ethereal/TCPDump/etc packet log via udp discard packets.
Pause your batch file until the host has a specific ip address on an interface
A utility to quickly induce arp resolution for every ip address within a specified /24 network.
This is console application, analogous to 'ping' and 'traceroute', which finds the maximum mtu between you and another host by passing icmp requests with differing payload sizes. Binary is provided for Win32.
- The MTU Eyechart
This is a small html file that displays a series of images in various sizes. If you are having an MTU problem with your webserver, the missing pictures will help reveal just what that problem might be.
- Python UDP stress tester
An extremely quick-and-dirty utility that tests how much UDP traffic it can shove through a connection.
A variant of tracert/traceroute that formats its output in XML.
- Library Stuff
Various command line utilities to troubleshoot SIP2 and API. sip2talk.exe, sip2ping.exe
An implementation of an ARP ping
A windows service based CPU stress tester.
- Cisco Pix "show conn" summary script
A python script that scrapes the output of the command "show conn" from within the Cisco Pix and summarizes the results in tabular form.
- Pix Object groups for Microsoft Server deployments
Object groups for Lazy Pix administrators, based on port ranges defined in the Microsoft knowledge base.
A python script implementing a simple macro language for quickly generating Cisco config files (or fragments). Intended especially for use when configuring many many identical interfaces or for generating standard configurations from a base template.
Cacti Scripts and Templates
- PHP Boolean Query Generator
This is a php snippet for converting boolean search queries (for instance "elephants AND giraffes" that people are used to typing into search blanks into SQL query syntax. ASP version now available as well.
- HTTP -> HTTPS Redirector
This is a small python script that can be run in the background to redirect http queries to another URL. In particular, it is set up to redirect insecure HTTP connections to an HTTP/SSL port.
- Generate Google Sitemap script
A python script that autogenerates a Google Sitemap XML file from the contents of your webserver. I use it to generate this sitemap: sitemap.xml. The script itself should generally be applicable to other sites with a few minor changes.
- The MSSQL Trouble Button
An ASP page to grab the current state of a MSSQL backed application when an end-user is experiencing a problem.
- Zoom Lens - An "around the mouse" screen magnifier for windows.
- make pretty - Script to Beautify C++ Code
- A telnet-serial bridge script
This makes your serial port available to any telnet client. Especially useful for e.g. PuTTY which is my favorite terminal client, but doesn't have any serial support.
- d5000_serial - Python module to interface with a d5000 series thermocouple
- millisleep.exe - sleep your batch file for X milliseconds
- sounder.exe - play 2 seconds of a .wav file from within a batchfile
- keypress - Small gui program to measure average keystroke length.
- Serial Watcher - Small .NET program that watches your serial ports and tells you when one becomes available.
- Webmail Chooser - a registry file and accompanying website to fix problems with having to install a mailto: client on public computers
- Keyboard Lint - a keyboard input fuzzer for flushing out keyloggers
Below the Fold:
These are projects that I consider withdrawn/broken/incomplete or otherwise unworthy.
Still works, but the capability has been moved into tcping.exe rather than continuing on its own.
A packet sniffing script that displays traffic moving through a three-dimensional cube representing the global IP space. Uses pyOpenGL for display.
A "pid exhaustion scanner" for Linux. Detects hidden processes by mapping out the holes they leave in the available pid space.
- icmp spy
The idea here was to use a raw ICMP socket to listen for incoming pings. Turns out it doesn't work: the winsock lib apparently doesn't pass ICMP echo requests back up to the socket.
- Renoser - Utility to restore injured emoticons.
- Winkin Bill - Can *you* solve the sliding puzzle game before Bill Clinton seduces you?
- retriever - Shell script to retrieve and log Dogpile's 'Search Spy' XML feed.
This site requires one of each of the more common browser plugins so that you can quickly tell what you have installed and operational.
A small C program that generates passwords based on the characteristics of a network device and a pre-arranged master password.